Pastry Puff Stuffed with red bean paste and egg yolk (蛋黄酥）
cake flour 180g
peanut oil 82g
Knead into a smooth but soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Water dough
all purpose flour 120g
cake flour 120g
peanut oil 70g
Knead into a smooth dough and keep kneading for 5 minutes (the more you knead, better it will be). Cover with plastic wrap and leave it resting for 40 minutes at least.
red bean paste ~500g
salt duck egg york 20pc
To make red bean paste - 300g red bean cooked till tender with water just cover it, then smash with Vitamix / dry cup. Pour into a pan, together with 4tbsp condensed milk, 3/4 cup peanut oil, 215g sugar and 2 tsp arrowroot starch flour (here). Stir until the paste forms a dough, as shown below.
To prepare for egg yolks - soak the egg yolks in oil, and bake 10 minutes at 325F, spray cooking wine.
Use 25g red bean paste to wrap an egg yolk.
Preheat oven to 400F
1. Divided the pastry and water dough into 20 parts. Covered with plastic wrap.
2. Oil the working surface or use non-stick Sur la Table silicon pastry mat - here
3. Gently flatten one water dough and wrap in one pastry part, and pinch tightly to make pastry dough. Rest for 15 minutes.
4. Roll each pastry dough into an oval shape then roll it up. Let each rest for 10 minutes.
5. Repeat step 4.
6. Roll pastry dough and package in red bean paste-egg yolk stuffing.
7. Brush egg wash, and sprinkle sesame on the surface.
8. Bake at 400F for 28 minutes, and leave them on the baking sheet for an extra 5 minutes before serving.