|cake circle - here|
Use 12'' cake circle for 8'' cake here
|cake circle - here|
Use 10'' cake circle for 8'' cake here
Followed the recipe here
I double the recipe below, which makes two 8'' cake, each is about 3cm tall. (It depends on the size of eggs, normally 4-5 eggs are enough to double the recipe).
1. Temperature is important. Water bath the batter when you beat it - 40C is about 103F.
2. Every electrical mixer is different! I need double the time to beat the batter as it mentions in the recipe.
Ingredients for one 8 inch cake, 3cm tall
cake flour: 90g
unsalted butter: 23g
1. Line the cake pan with parchment paper. sift cake flour. Preheat oven to 330F (lower to 320F when you bake the cake).
2. Add egg and sugar in a bowl. Leave the bowl in simmering water, and heat to 103F. Whisk the egg and sugar together. Keep the temperature around 103F.
3. Water bath A. (butter and milk), and keep the temperature around 103F.
4. Beat the egg and sugar mixture at the high speed (when I double the recipe, it normally takes me 6 minutes). Beat until the batter is pale, and when you lift the mixer, the batter should flow down as a thin line rather than drops.
5. Continue beat at the medium-low speed for another 3-6 minutes. Beat until the batter is smooth, and when you insert a tooth stick in (about 1cm deep), it doesn't fall very quickly.
6. Add in cake flour, and use rubber spatula to blend gently until well mixed.
7. Add A (103F) to the batter. Blend thoroughly but gently. When you blend, start at 1 o'clock, scratch the bottom and lift the spatula out of the batter at 7 o'clock. Rotate the container and repeat the above motion for 80 times. The batter should be smooth and glossy!
8. Pour the batter in the pan, and shake it gently to let air bubbles out before send the pan to the oven. Bake at 320F for 38min. The surface is brown, and when insert a tooth stick, it comes out clean.
9. Cool the cake on a cook rack, with the bottom of cake up.
Whipped heavy cream
Heavy cream: 4 cup
Cream cheese: 4 tbsp (room temperature, it makes the whipped cream stable and glossy. For this small amount, you won't taste it)
Powder sugar: 4 tbsp
1. Leave the whisks of the electrical mixer and the container in the freezer for at least 20 minutes before you use them.
2. After you finish the decoration, leave the cake in the refrigerator for 2hours before serve.
3. Love chocolate deco pen from Williams-Sonoma.