Dark chocolate merlot cupcake
Happy July 4th!
These are the best chocolate cupcake I ever made! As rich as they may sound... they aren't! Perfect soft and fluffy, super fudge dark chocolate with just a little hint of red wine... (I think red wine enhanced the chocolate flavor)
12 cupcakes1 1/8 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (and extra for dust if you use silicon molds)
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup corn oil
1 large egg
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons merlot
8 ounces of high-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (I always buy from Trader Joes)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, powder and salt twice. Set aside. Line a cupcake tin with liners. (If you use silicon cupcake liners - here, carefully butter the liners and dust with flour and coco powder mixture - 4:1; then dislodge the extra flour mixture. The cupcakes come off the silicon liners easily!)
2. Use a stand mixer to whisk egg, oil and sugar until together until smooth and no lumps remain, at the lowest speed (or stir mode).
3. Add melted butter, merlot and vanilla and mix until combined, at the lowest speed.
4. Add half of the dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Add the milk, then the remaining flour mixture. Mix until batter is smooth with a large spoon, about 4 minutes at the lowest speed.
5. Fold in chocolate.
6. Add batter to each cup until 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.