Hokkaido Milk Bread (北海道土司）- for dummies
|Picture 1. ingredients|
Food scale - here
Ingredients (two small loafs - as I did here, or one 13''by4''by4'' loaf)
bread flour 540g (高筋面粉）
cake flour 60g (低筋面粉）
dry active yeast 10g
dry milk powder 30g (you can find it in the baking section)
large egg * 1 (and an extra for egg wash)
heavy whipping cream 150g
1. Add all of the ingredients (except yeast) in the pan of the bread maker, and add dry active yeast in the yeast dispenser. If your bread maker doesn't have a yeast dispenser, you need avoid the direct contact between yeast and sugar / salt.
2. Use the 'dough' function to knead and rise (about 45 minutes). The dough should be smooth and not sticky.
|picture 2: after 45 minutes kneading and rising|
|Picture 3: at the step 3, the dough should like this...|
|Picture 4: for step 4|
5. Put the roll in a greased bread pan. Repeat with the second ball. Put 4 balls into a bread pan.
6. Cover the bread pan with a layer of wet kitchen towel and leave in a warm place (make sure the wet kitchen towel not touching the bread dough! I left them in the oven with the light on and put a layer of wet kitchen towel on the the rack above the dough / bread pan). Let rise for 60-75 minutes or until the dough fills up 75%-80% of the pan. Preheat oven to 340F.
|Picture 5: for step 5-7|
|picture 6: for step 8|
8. Brush egg wash. Bake at 330F for another 10 minutes.
If you use a bread pan with a lid, you may need bake an extra 10-15 minutes after brush egg wash.
9. Remove from the pan immediately, and cool completely on a cookie rack (at least 1 hour).