Slow cooked lamb shank with garlic and rosemary
1. 3 small lamb shanks
2. 1lb carrot
3. 1 medium size yellow onion
4. 10 gloves of garlic
5. 1 sprig fresh rosemary
6. 2 sprigs fresh thyme
7. 2 pc ginger
8. 1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
9. 2/3 cup red wine
10. 1 tsp freshly grind black pepper
11. 1 tsp salt
(dry red pepper, optional)
1. Despite their potential for deliciousness, lamb shanks are bony and fatty when you first get them. Try your best to remove every bit of fat, and thin but tough membrane as well. Pre-heat the oven to 300F.
2. Rub the shanks with olive oil, and roast for 10-15 minutes to get a light brown color. Remove the shanks, and use kitchen paper towel to absorb the excess fat.
3. In a large dutch oven (here), add one tbsp olive oil then brown onion and other vegi / spice.
3. Add in the shanks, chick broth, red wine, pepper and salt. (dry red pepper, optional).
4. Put the dutch oven into the pre-heated oven. Bake 30 minutes at 300F. Then reduce to 280F for 2 hours. Check to make sure there is enough fluid in the dutch oven. Then reduce the temperature to 250, and bake for another 45 minutes.
Serve straightly from the oven to the table, and it is also good for the next day!